Hemispheric Drug Strategy
In applying control measures, member states will use the following guidelines:
- One of the main objectives of the suppression of illicit drug trafficking and related crimes should be the dismantling of criminal organizations and their support networks. In this regard, law enforcement measures must address not only the prosecution of those engaged in illicit activities, but also the tools used for such activities and the profits derived from them. Given the rapid evolution of criminal organizations, control agencies must be proactive and adapt to the dynamic nature of the problem of drug trafficking and related crimes, and thus develop specific intelligence gathering systems in order to detect routes and methods used by criminal organizations.
- In the context of investigations into illicit drug trafficking and related crimes, the exchange of intelligence information through the appropriate institutions should be promoted, in accordance with specific national legislation.
- To facilitate the prosecution and conviction of leaders and members of criminal organizations and their support networks, the adoption of measures for effective cooperation in criminal investigations, investigation procedures, the collection of evidence, and the exchange of information among countries should be considered, assuring due respect for the various national legal systems.
- Legislative and institutional frameworks on the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution, and control of the laundering of proceeds from illicit drug trafficking, the diversion of controlled chemical substances to illicit channels, and other serious transnational crimes, should be established, updated or reinforced, as appropriate, in accordance with the recommendations of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF).
- National entities responsible for the management and disposition of assets seized and/or forfeited in cases of illicit drug trafficking, money laundering, and other related crimes should be established or strengthened, as appropriate.
Plan of Action, 2011-2015
OBJECTIVE No. 11 – CONTROL MEASURES
Establish, update or strengthen legislative and institutional frameworks in matters of prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution and control of money laundering.
Review legislative and institutional frameworks in matters of prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution and control of money laundering; on the basis of this review, modify programs or introduce new ones as necessary.
- Evaluate the results achieved through the implementation of legislative and institutional measures for the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution and control of money laundering.
- Create or strengthen financial intelligence units to foster successful anti-money laundering prosecutions.
- Create or strengthen mechanisms of cooperation and exchange of information among agencies enforcing laws on the prevention and control of money laundering.
OBJECTIVE No. 12 – CONTROL MEASURES
Create or strengthen, in accordance with national legislation, the competent national organizations for the administration of seized and/or forfeited assets, and the disposition of forfeited assets.
Establish/strengthen national organizations with responsibility for the administration of seized and/or forfeited assets, and the disposition of forfeited assets.
- Promote specialized programs to improve systems for the administration of seized and forfeited assets.
- Strengthen technical capacities for the administration and disposition of assets related to drug trafficking and related crimes.
updated on 5/30/2012 11:21:40 AM